Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Welcome!

So...you may be wondering what the story is behind the name of my blog...well it's due to a mental picture or rather a scene that I will attempt to describe.  I am in no way going to be able to do it justice but maybe you can join me in imagining in your own way.

I have always had a picture in my head of standing on a beach at sunset with the salty air playing with my hair.   I can hear the seagulls calling to each other and the buoy bells clanging in the distance. 

As I wiggle my toes I can feel the coarse sand between them.  I can feel the warmth emanating from the sand beneath me.  Although the sun is warming my shoulders, a gust of chilling wind reminds me that autumn draws near.

As I look around I can see the sand dunes painted a deep gold topped with grass bowing to the power of the sea breeze. Out in the water I can see little white caps and lobster buoys bouncing on the horizon. I see rocky outcroppings being battered by waves with little barnacles clinging for dear life.

What captures my attention the most are footprints.  The waves have washed some away and the breeze is slowing filling in the other prints with little granules of sand. 

For some reason I become melancholy thinking about these footprints.  To me they meant the end of summer, and the end of childhood.  The end of summer is always a weird time when if you're like me you start to regret not squeezing in enough during the time off while at the same time looking forward to what the new school year may bring.  As far as it being a picture of the end of childhood? Well, for the same reason you regret the end of summer you regret the end of those innocent years where you didn't have to worry about a job, bills, or the economy.  Did you have enough tea parties? Sleepovers? Camp-outs?   Although the freedom to do these frequently may be gone there is still so much more to adult life that like a school year brings new things every day.  Every day is full of new knowledge and adventure.  There are so many things to look forward too! 

In my blog I want to share snippets of what I am thinking, learning, and observing.  I hope you will join me often! Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, girl! You are your mother's daughter after all. Didn't know I had passed along my deep sense of summer melancholy. Sigh.

    For what it's worth, when you get to be my age you get to start being child-like again and play with wild abandon. At least, that's what I'm counting on. Love you, Babe.

    BTW--here's that blog link you were looking for: http://houghtonlife2008.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. You Know Who is looking forward to hearing about your new adventures! Hugs sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete