Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easter Memories

This Easter weekend I wanted to share some of my favorite memories of this time of year!

I remember always looking forward to Easter Services for the music and the flowers.  I don't think I could ever remember a service without the beauty of brass instruments proclaiming the triumphant return of the King from the dead!  The numerous hyacinths, lilies, and tulips in front of the pulpit filled my nose full of wonderful Easter smell!  

I remember when we were growing up our cul-de-sac and the one next to ours would always get together for a huge egg hunt!  Different yards would be for different age groups and we always had an assigned color.  There were special golden eggs and even small eggs that we always fought over.  I remember progressing from whatever the middle age group was to the "big kids yard" where finding the eggs got harder.  Nevertheless we had so much fun and I wish I was still young enough to run around looking for eggs.  Last year hubby and I put together an egg hunt for our nephew who at the time was two.  It was hard to remember to hide the eggs in obvious locations rather than trying to really hide them, but it was worth it to get to watch him look for them and then open them :-) 

My hubby tonight just asked me why it was that everyone gets dressed up in their very best for Easter Sunday.  I found that one a hard one to explain other than it's an excuse to shop for new clothes to start off that spring season and to see kids all dressed up in cute outfits ( I think my mom and I share a love for looking at little girl Easter dresses every year!)  I tried to explain it was also because we sometimes get to see family we don't always see.  But maybe the real reason is because this Sunday is set apart from any other Sunday because it's a cause for celebration!  We're not attending a funeral, we're attending a resurrection.  How awesome is that!  It's not something that happens all the time.  That's why its so special.  We are always trying to look our best for someone and in a strange way this Sunday is a reason for why we don't need to worry about how we look to one person, Jesus Christ.  I doesn't matter if we come dressed as beggars or come with designer wear on when it comes to Him.  He still died for my sins no matter what my color hair, skin color, or handicaps.  And that is why this Sunday is so special.

If you haven't gone into a chocolate coma yet try to take time out to think about why it is that this Sunday is so special and know that your sins are forgiven if you believe in HIM. 

And have a very HAPPY EASTER! 

O death, where is your sting?
O hell, where is your victory?
O church, come stand in the light
Our God is not dead
He's alive! He's alive!


Christ is risen from the dead
Trampling over death by death
Come awake, come awake
Come and rise up from the grave
Christ is risen from the dead
We are one with Him again
Come awake, come awake
Come and rise up from the grave

 ~~Christ is Risen Matt Maher  
http://www.klove.com/music/artists/matt-maher/songs/christ-is-risen-lyrics.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment